What is Roof Ventilation, and Why is it Important?
Ventilation is the flow of air through an efficient system built around intake and exhaust. In layman’s terms, it removes stale air from within and allows fresh, clean air to enter. Typically, most modern homes have a roof ventilation system build directly into the attic. This system is connected to the ventilation system throughout the house, allowing fresh, cool air to seep in from outdoors. There are a few reasons why a ventilation system is so crucial to the modern household.
What is Roof Ventilation?
An understanding of roof ventilation and its importance is relatively new. The need for proper ventilation was not documented until the early- to mid-20th century. Organizations such as the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers recognized that condensation within a building caused problems and was due to poor roof ventilation.
Ventilation only functions with proper air flow. There are two primary types of air flow:
- Mechanical – Requires a power source.
- Natural – When possible, natural roof ventilation is installed in a home. The stack effect and wind effect work in tandem to naturally circulate air within the home.
The Benefits of Roof Ventilation
Besides clean air, roof ventilation provides other worthwhile benefits. These benefits include:
- Extended roof lifespan – Proper ventilation allows warm air to escape the attic and roof before melting snow and ice. A well-vented roof is easy to spot during winter, as there are no icicles in sight.
- Reduced energy costs – When temperatures rise outdoors, many of us remain inside to stay cool. A well-ventilated roof allows the heat to escape, thereby reducing the energy usage of an air conditioning system.
- Reduced indoor temperatures – As we said, a proper ventilation system is connected throughout the house. An adequately vented roof allows balmy air to escape and cool air to remain indoors, ensuring a comfortable interior.
To schedule roof ventilation services, contact Peak Roofing Systems by calling 972-731-7663 | 972-810-3732 (Dallas/Ft. Worth) or 281-290-7325 (Houston). Give us a call to enjoy the benefits of a properly ventilated attic!